The STFC is one of seven UK Research Councils (link opens in a new window) in the UK. All operate under Royal Charters under the direction of the Department for Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
BEIS is responsible for UK science policy and for funding basic research through the research councils. See also the Management Statement and Financial Memorandum.
Parliament monitors and influences our work through its Select Committees and the Parliamentary Ombudsman. The Select Committees most relevant to STFC are:
A number of other parliamentary bodies take an interest in our work. They include:
The STFC also has close working relationships with the following bodies:-
- Science and Engineering Base Co-ordinating Committee - This committee addresses scientific and engineering issues that cross boundaries between government departments. It is chaired by the government's Chief Scientific Adviser and includes representatives from the Education Departments, the Director General of the Research Councils, the Chief Executives of the Research Councils, and the Chief Executives of the Higher Education Funding Councils.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office Science and Technology Unit - STFC works with this unit and its scientific attachés to identify opportunities and shape collaborations with researchers from other countries.
- The (MoD) - STFC and the MoD often have a common interest in advanced technologies. We meet with them regularly to coordinate collaborative research.
- The Higher Education Funding Councils (HEFCE) - The Higher Education Funding Councils for England, Scotland and Wales are another source of funding for universities in their region. We work with them to coordinate support for scientific and technical research that’s relevant to our charter.
- The Regional Development Agencies - especially through their involvement in the science councils.
- The Innovate UK - which was set up to drive forward the Government’s Technology Strategy
The STFC also either works with or provides funding for: