The Council, formed in April 2007, is the governing body and its members are appointed by the Minister for Universities and Science.
The council is comprised of a combination of non-executive directors from academia and industry.
The Council's terms of reference reflects its responsibility to the organisation, and its commitment to a more integrated approach to large facilities, including international negotiations; and to ensure that the STFC delivers its goals, upholds its responsibility towards its stakeholders, users, members of public and staff of the organisation.
1. The Council of STFC agreed in its response to the Organisational Review of STFC to publish a statement on its role, and its interactions with the Executive. In preparing this statement, Council considered the recommendations of the Wakeham Review of Physics and the Report of the Organisational Review of STFC, and the views of the Department of Innovation, Universities and Skills (DBIS).
2. Council's responsibilities are both general and specific, as follows:
3. In addition, the Chair will have specific responsibilities in relation to identification of strategic priorities, interaction with DBIS, input and engagement with stakeholders and (with the CEO) staff recruitment and retention, as well as representational duties.
4. In the discharge of its responsibility Council will be supported through a number of support & advisory structures reporting to it, including the:
5. Council will appoint the membership of the principal Boards and Committees.
6. Science Board will provide the STFC with a strategic scientific overview and assessment of, and science advice on, all of the programmes STFC supports. It is supported by advisory panels, peer review committees and other advisory committees.
7. Each lay Council member acts as the lead in one of the areas identified in paragraph 4.
8. Council will recruit and appoint the membership of the Executive Board, with the exception of the CEO who is appointed by the Secretary of State.
9. The CEO will be ultimately responsible to Council for the management of the organisation and the delivery of its mission. He/she has a specific responsibility for ensuring Council is fully and timely briefed on all relevant matters.
10. Inter alia the Executive Board will be responsible for delivery of the following, within the strategic direction and guidance set by Council:
11. The Executive Board will delegate the delivery of these functions as appropriate.
12. The role of the Executive Board will be to:
Please click on the links below to view the members biographies.
The Council members have published their register of interests.
Each member of the Council is required to declare any personal or business interest direct or indirect, monetary or non-monetary that may conceivably conflict with the interest of the STFC (the areas include; university; industry; other government departments; other interests):
The Current Register for the members of Council:
University Interest: Retired Vice-Chancellor of the University of Birmingham and Brunel University
Other: Council member of the Foundation for Science and Technology; Consultant to GEIDCO (Global Energy Interconnection Development & Cooperation Organisation) Beijing, China
Other: Member of International Advisory Board of NIM, China; Member, Board of Directors for Diamond Light Source
University Interest: Director of Finance at University of Birmingham until 31 December 2014. University of Birmingham is a recipient of STFC funding
Commercial Interest: Chairman, Rainbow Seed Fund Advisory Board; member of Inmarsat plc Strategic Advisory Board; Chairman, Living PlanIT SA
Other: Council Member, Campaign for Science & Engineering; Chair, fundraising committee of British Society for Research on Ageing; Trustee of Lunar Mission One; Chairman, National Space Academy Steering Group
University interest: Vice-Provost, UCL; European Research Universities (Co-convenor of the committee of ‘Vice-Rectors’ of Research of the League)
Other: Chair of Governors, UCL Academy, Camden
Commercial Interest: Chairman, Cobalt Light Systems Ltd
Other: Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
University Interest: Imperial College London. Recipient of STFC grants, Head of Department in receipt of STFC grants
Other Government Department: Board member of the Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation
University Interest: Head of the Department of Physics at the University of Bath
Commercial Interest: Lumini Ltd
Other: University of Bath membership of: UK-LSST Consortium & CTA Consortium; Lead of sub-work package for ESA XIPE mission; individual membership of LSST-US pending; Onsala Space Observatory Board; USKA Operations review Panel; UK SKA Programme Board
University Interest: Vice-Principle/Professor University of Edinburgh; Director of UoE HPCX Ltd – wholly owned subsidiary of University of Edinburgh; holder of STFC grants and member of DIRAC Project Management Board, member of Board of Directors of the Scottish Universities’ Physics Alliance (SUPA); family member employed by UCL
Commercial Interest: Director, Turing Innovations Ltd – wholly owned subsidiary of Alan Turing Institute; family member employed by ThinkTank Maths Ltd
Other Government Department: Member, e-Infrastructure Leadership Council
Other: Trustee, Alan Turing Institute; Member of Advisory Boards for Hartree Centre, Higgs Centre of Innovation, Irish centre for High End Computing
Commercial Interest: Independent Director at the Nuclear Decommissioning Fund Company Ltd
Other Government Department: Non-Executive Director and Chair of Audit at the Defence Science & Technology Laboratory and at the Financial Ombudsman Service, Non-Executive Director at the Land Registry
University Interest: The University of Sheffield
Commercial Interest: Non-exec Director of Farapack Polymers Ltd
Other: Trustee of the High Polyler Research Group (registered charity 206902)
University Interest: Deputy Vice-Chancellor – Cardiff University
Commercial Interest: Director – Compound Semiconductor Centre Ltd
Other: EPSRC SAN; Royal Academy of Engineering Research Committee
STFC Council will meet on the following dates from 11:00 to 16:00:
|January 24||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – R80||77th|
|March 21||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – R71||78th|
|May 23||Polaris House, Swindon||79th|
|July 18||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – R71||80th|
|September 19||Daresbury Cockcroft A/B||81st|
|November 21||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – R71||82nd|
STFC Council will meet on the following dates from 11:00 to 16:00:
|January 19||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – R80||71st|
|March 22||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – R71||72nd|
|May 24||BIS, London||73rd|
|July 19||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – R71||74th|
|September 20||Daresbury Cockcroft A/B||75th|
|November 22||Polaris House, Swindon||76th|
STFC Council will meet on the following dates:
|27 January 2015||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory|
|24 March 2015||Daresbury Laboratory|
|19 May 2015||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory|
|21 July 2015||UKATC, Edinburgh|
|29 September 2015||Rutherford Appleton Laboratory|
|24 November 2015||Polaris House, Swindon|
The minutes from previous Council meetings are available below: