By their very nature, science and technology are highly collaborative endeavours that exchange knowledge and build skills. The delivery of STFC’s programme is underpinned by successful collaborations with a wide range of strategic partners, including universities, other research councils, Innovate UK, our Campus partners and tenants, and industry.
There are many mechanisms through which we collaborate and provide a fertile environment across organisational boundaries. In 2011/12, some examples of our formal collaborations included:
- STFC is working with Siemens Healthcare to develop a compact accelerator which is cheaper to build and operate than those currently available
- A five year Memorandum of Understanding with China’s Guanghua Science and Technology Foundation pledges to jointly promote the development and exploitation of science and technology
- Working with US laboratory Fermilab to transfer technology developed for particle physics accelerators into other applications
- Agreement with AWE and the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to increase collaboration on developments towards the demonstration of the technical and economic viability of laser fusion as a source of energy
- Agreement with the National Physical Laboratory to target closer business and research links on commercial offerings for the healthcare industry