Currently UK physicists participate in the following direct dark matter search experiments:
- Darkside (liquid Argon)
- DEAP/CLEAN (liquid Argon)
- DRIFT (gaseous tracking)
- EDELWEISS/EURECA (cryogenic)
- LUX350/LUX-ZEPLIN (liquid Xenon)
Currently STFC does not provide ear-marked financial support for these experiments.
Participation in this field by some other countries includes:
- Germany - XENON, EDELWEISS, CRESST leading to EURECA
- Italy - DAMA-LIBRA, WARP/Darkside, XENON, CRESST
- France - EDELWEISS leading to EURECA, MIMAC, XENON
- US - LUX350/LUX-ZEPLIN, WARP/Darkside, DRIFT, XENON, CDMS, COUPP, DEAP/CLEAN
- Canada - CDMS, PICASSO, DEAP/CLEAN
- Japan - XMASS
- China - XENON, PandaX
Present experiments are just entering the region of parameter space favoured by many theoretical models and consequently have some discovery potential. These experiments serve also as a step towards a new generation of experiments which are now under preparation, which will increase cross-section sensitivity by one to two orders of magnitude and cover a substantial part of this favoured parameter space.