Made: 7th February 2007
Coming into force: 1st April 2007
At the Court at Buckingham Palace, the 7th day of February 2007
Present: The Queen's Most Excellent Majesty in Council
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is established by Royal Charter for purposes connected with scientific research and consists of persons appointed by a Minister of the Crown.
In accordance with section 1(4) of the Science and Technology Act 1965 a draft of this Order has been laid before and approved by a resolution of each House of Parliament.
Accordingly, Her Majesty, in exercise of the powers conferred upon Her by section 1(1)(c) of that Act, is pleased, by and with the advice of Her Privy Council, to declare as follows:-
- The Science and Technology Facilities Council, whose objects are specified in the Schedule to this Order, is established as a Research Council for the purposes of the Science and Technology Act 1965.
- This Order may be cited as the Science and Technology Facilities Council Order 2007 and shall come into force on 1st April 2007.
Deputy Clerk of the Privy Council
Objects of the Science and Technology Facilities Council
This mission provides the underlying framework for our entire portfolio of operations and activities as we focus on delivering world-beating science and technology.
The objects for which the Council is established and incorporated are:-
- To promote and support high-quality scientific and engineering research by developing and providing, by any means, facilities and technical expertise in support of basic, strategic and applied research programmes funded by persons established in Our United Kingdom and elsewhere.
- To promote and support, by any means, high-quality basic, strategic and applied research and related post-graduate training in astronomy, particle physics, space science and nuclear physics and research in any other field which makes use of scientific facilities where access is provided, arranged or otherwise made available by the Council, having regard to the objects of the other research councils.
- To promote and support the advancement of knowledge and technology (including the promotion and support of the exploitation of research outcomes) and to provide trained scientists and engineers, and thereby to contribute to the economic competitiveness of Our United Kingdom and the quality of life of its people, meeting the needs of users and beneficiaries.
- In relation to the activities as engaged in by the Council above and in such manner as the Council may see fit:-
- to generate public awareness;
- to communicate research outcomes;
- to encourage public engagement and dialogue;
- to disseminate knowledge; and
- to provide advice.
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order declares the Science and Technology Facilities Council to be established as a Research Council for the purposes of the Science and Technology Act 1965 and specifies the objects of the Council.
A Regulatory Impact Assessment in respect of this Order is available and a copy can be obtained from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, 1 Victoria Street, London SW1H 0ET. Copies of these documents have been placed in the libraries of both Houses of Parliament.