Solar System Advisory Panel
The purpose of the Advisory Panel is to provide a link between Science Board and the community, and represent the needs of the community to STFC. The remit of the panel includes Technology Development, Theory, High Performance Computing and Data Curation issues within their area.
- Chair: Huw Morgan – Aberystwyth University
- Jonathan Eastwood – Imperial College London
- Helen Fraser – Open University
- Alan Hood – University of St Andrews
- Caitriona Jackman – University of Southampton
- Katie Joy – University of Manchester
- Stephen Lowry – University of Kent at Canterbury
- Sarah Matthews – University College London
- Colin Wilson – University of Oxford
Terms of Reference
The Advisory Panel is tasked to:
- Maintain an overview of activities within the area;
- Develop and maintain a science vision and long term strategy /roadmap by assessing the merit of current and future science opportunities;
- Develop and maintain a technology roadmap for their area of research;
- Consult and interact with the community to ensure its views are canvassed and there is an appropriate and effective route for communication with STFC on strategic programmatic issues;
- Provide advice to Science Board on specific questions as requested;
- Liaise with other Advisory Panels when appropriate.
The Advisory Panel is required to report on these activities to Science Board on a regular basis. The science strategy developed by the Advisory Panel will be used by Science Board as input to ongoing strategy development and in future Programmatic Reviews.
SSAP Roadmap documents
Solar Physics Facilities Review: 2017 - 2025+
A review of solar physics facilities has been undertaken by specialists working in this area, including the Chair of the SSAP.
Exoplanets UK research review 2014/15
A review of exoplanet research in the UK has been undertaken by members of the AAP and SSAP, along with specialists working in this area.