PPD, in collaboration with colleagues from UK Universities (link opens in a new window), is involved in many high energy physics (HEP) projects and running experiments located at different research institutes around the world. Key projects and activities include:
- The construction, installation and exploitation of experiments to study physics at the TeV scale at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) (link opens in a new window) at CERN (link opens in a new window), the European Laboratory for Particle Physics (located in Geneva, Switzerland).
- Proton-proton physics at the LHC - ATLAS and CMS
- Beauty physics at the LHC - LHCb
- The development, in conjunction with the e-Science Department (link opens in a new window) and the UK Tier 1 Centre (link opens in a new window) at RAL, of advanced Grid computing facilities and software, required for the analysis of data from the LHC at CERN.
- The search for new phenomena in precision experiments:
- The creation, in conjunction with the Accelerator Science and Technology (ASTeC (link opens in a new window)) Department, of a strong programme of accelerator and detector R&D directed towards future particle physics facilities such as a linear collider or neutrino factory
- The exploitation and analysis of results from recently completed collider
- Collaboration between theorists and experimentalists as part of the NExT Institute (link opens in a new window)
© 2013 Science and Technology Facilities Council - All Rights