The Futures Programme is working to broaden the impact of STFC’s science and technology into areas that are strategically important to the UK. The main focus of our work is on global challenge areas in energy, the environment, healthcare and security. We have recently added Global Food Security to our portfolio as a sub theme to Environment. We work closely with our colleagues in STFC Global Challenges who provide funding mechanisms for STFC community to engage in Global Challenge areas. Futures is also engaged across government in helping address the policies and programmes of UK government departments with responsibility for these areas.
- Engagement with policy makers
- raising awareness of STFC capability relevant to their needs
- identifying policy challenges where STFC capabilities can be applied
- putting policy makers in touch with expert advisers in the national laboratories and the wider science community (and vice versa)
- Horizon scanning for relevant science and technology trends
- Stimulating activities aimed at addressing government needs