The mission of the Photonics Group, led by Graham Bushnell-Wye, is to maintain and extend specialist knowledge and skills needed to exploit advanced accelerators and analytical instruments for scientific applications and discovery.
The group does this by:
- undertaking experiments on advanced accelerators, collaborating with leading national and international centres;
- designing and building beamlines and instruments, and developing technology for scientific discovery;
- acting as an effective interface between accelerator designers and the academic community to align end user requirements and source characteristics;
- providing advice and leadership to decision makers and funding agencies;
- engaging with universities and industry to investigate new applications to address grand challenges; and
- operating national mid-range facilities (e.g. MEIS and NCESS), providing reliable access for university and industrial research groups to undertake atomic-scale characterisation of materials.
© 2013 Science and Technology Facilities Council - All Rights